Friday, June 10, 2011

THOMAS MONIZ: GARDENER WITH HEART

Thomas watering his plants in plot #21

Hi Thomas.  How did you get into gardening?  Did someone teach you?

ALOHA.  
I was quite interested in gardening at an early age.  When I was a kid, I would save half my allowance to buy vegetable and flower seeds.  I was fascinated with plants, butterflies and nature in general.  Coming from a family of 10 children, the extra vegetables I grew were needed to help subsidize my parents’ food bill.

I used to see my dad take pride in his gingers and fruit trees and my mom with her lilacs, peonies and bearded Iris. My dad was born and raised in Paia, Maui and my mother was born in South Dakota but eventually moved to Nebraska, where my grandfather homesteaded 180 acres during the HOMESTEAD ACT.

I used to see my dad water and grow his flowers. I was fascinated when butterflies, bees and hummingbirds would come frequent the flowers.  I really innately took an interest on my own to grow plants from seeds.

I was fascinated to grow things and watch them grow, it was truly a wonder nature can only provide, and to this day I still have the passion for gardening.  My father encouraged me to go to UC DAVIS to study plants but I ended up studying business administration in college.

Why do you garden?  What do you get from it?

I garden because I have a passion for being close to nature. I really enjoy seeing how things grow and love seeing the many different varieties of flowers, fruits and vegetables nature has provided us.  I find it very relaxing and rewarding when getting my garden planted.  It's truly amazing to take a raw patch of land and soil and being creative to give a spectacle for all to enjoy.

What is the best or most interesting thing you’ve ever grown?

Although Hawaii does not have the chill factor to grow Cherries, lilacs, peaches, etc., I miss being able to grow such things that require a number of chill hours.

I think the most interesting thing I grew was the different type of pears, apples and peach trees that needed less chilling time.  Nothing better than fresh fruit from your yard.

Do you actually cook and eat what you harvest?

I do actually eat most everything that I grow.  My last crop of corn was delicious along with my squash.  I enjoy fresh Swiss chard (steam it and put apple cider vinegar on it).  So ONO !!

What do you have growing in your plot?

I have a wide array of plants growing

Lemons - two types - Eureka and Lisbon
Limes- Persian
Orange - Naval
Bay Leaf
Lemon Verbena
Sage
Tarragon
Lemon grass
Corn
Italian string-less string beans ( catchy  isn't it)
Japanese cucumbers
Pumpkins- the kind for canning and baking pies
Cantaloupe

I do not mind sharing my crops but do get upset when I find someone has picked my lemons and oranges even when they are not ripe.   

If you could have it your way, how would you improve the garden?

Ways to improve the garden would be to assess the common areas and plan what we could put in to benefit the garden members at large.  We have a lychee tree that is a beautiful tree but non-productive.  I would like to see a dwarf mango tree or some citrus in that area. If anything, fresh limeade or lemonade could be made for garden meetings. 

With your lifelong gardening background, do you have any advice and suggestions for us less experienced gardeners?

I believe in rotating my garden plot out on a timely basis. We here in Hawaii are truly blessed to have the weather and opportunity to be able to grow corn, tomatoes, and vegetables year round.  To let a garden plot sit and fill with weeds is really such a waste of precious soil. 

I believe in nurturing the soil with manure, compost and anything that will enhance the soil to nourish your plants.  You have to nourish your soil to ensure a healthy and productive plant. 

I do also miss growing my fragrant variety of roses.  It was work pruning them and spraying them for diseases but they were truly amazing when in bloom and smelled your house up nicely after you picked a nice arrangement for the house.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO CUT PLANTS BACK...  Sometimes you have to sacrifice in order to get.

You can shape any plant with proper pruning.

Do not let your plants get infested with APHIDS and mealy bugs.  Spraying your plants with a hard steady stream of water or with soapy water will help defeat these pests.  If you let your plant go with these pests, you are only encouraging the pests to destroy your plant and to spread to your fellow gardeners’ plants. 

Utilize your plot with a trellis.

Take pride and joy in your hard work. Create something beautiful and bountiful for you and others to ENJOY.   

Are you still working?

I retired from Delta Air Lines and love to travel. I am currently working retail in Waikiki. I also enjoy meeting the many different people in the garden and enjoy talking with everyone I meet.  I find gardening as therapeutic and a place to unwind from the daily hustle bustle of things.
MAHALO
Thomas Moniz (plot #21)



No comments:

Post a Comment