Thursday, June 9, 2011

SILVIA GIANETTI BARBER

Silvia and Kyle Barber garden plot 109

Silvia Gianetti Barber is an environmental scientist. She works for a consulting company and does a lot of work on former plantation land on the islands (pineapple, sugarcane) that is being converted into other types of agriculture and crops. In general she works wherever there's contamination and a need to remediate. Her husband Kyle Barber is working for a bioenergy company and grows algae and other crops for biofuels.

Silvia, how did you get into gardening?  Did someone teach you?
I've always grown herbs and other plants growing up with my mom (in Italy). Then I volunteered in an organic farm program here at UH while studying.


Why do you garden?  What do you get from it?
I garden to get fresh produce. I also enjoy working in the garden a lot. 


What is the best or most interesting thing you’ve ever grown?
Taro. We have about 1/4 of the plot with taro. We make poi when we harvest. Yummy!


Do you actually cook and eat what you harvest?
I eat everything from my garden. The only greens I eat are those from my garden. 


If you could have it your way, how would you improve the garden?
Not sure.


Do you know of any interesting, funny, inspiring or curious things that have happened in the garden?
I like chitchatting and socializing with other gardeners around my plot. We are a group of interesting characters :-) We share plants, seedlings and suggestions.

1 comment:

  1. You guys are ignorant, selfish, rude, disrespectful, people devoid of any ethics, decency or common curtesy. You are the kind of ppl who are completely reckless when u think no one is watching. People like you will never reap the rewards that come from having personal conduct standards and respect for others. You should be ashamed at your behavior. It's absolutely inexcusable. Your rude selfish behavior is so unnecessary and uncalled for it is on the same level as some ghetto locals who haven't been fortunate enough to have any role models or guidance. Your actions are worse than those of someone without an education except you guys have no excuse. U should be ashamed. You guys r so lame. I would encourage you to look deeply at your behavior and At the suffering and negativity your low standards cause but I know you aren't even capable of looking deeply because you're so pathetic and rotten human beings. Enjoy your selfish rude negative little world. I take comfort knowing you will never have the opportunities that I have been blessed with in my life.

    ReplyDelete