Friday, June 10, 2011

ED SUAREZ: LEMONGRASS ANYONE?

Ed Suarez (plot #113) trimming his flourishing lemongrass bush

How did you get into gardening?  Did someone teach you?

I got into gardening about 10 years ago with the Aloha Garden project at Hawai`i State Hospital, which started off as a small therapeutic gardening project to help get inpatients outdoors, being productive and learning useful skills to help them transition back into the community. It is now a large operation with hydroponics, vermiculture, aquaponics and a fully functioning lo'i. From the beginning though, I quickly realized it was equally therapeutic for me, as well as the patients, to get off the wards and into the `aina. So, when I left my job at HSH and the Aloha Garden for an office job, I knew I had to try to stay grounded, so that is when I started my own garden at DHCG.

Why do you garden?  What do you get from it?

Gardening at DHCG has been a great way for me to reconnect with nature, eat healthy, live green, and meet interesting people

What is the best or most interesting thing you’ve ever grown?

Everything I've grown has been fascinating for me to observe and interact with. Plants are like people, each with a unique personality and talents/gifts. It is still amazing to me when I actually get a perfect cucumber or papaya or strawberry out of my garden. What a great gift everything that grows in my garden is! This summer I want to try to grow dragon fruit, which grows from some kind of cactus plant I hear! 

Do you actually cook and eat what you harvest?

Yes, the lemongrass is great for cooking (thai food) and making tea. The mint goes in my smoothies. The cilantro or salsa. Parsley and bell peppers in salads. Strawberries and papaya anytime. And my favorite is sauteed kale!

If you could have it your way, how would you improve the garden?

I'd like to learn more from the master gardeners at DHCG and alleviate my garden envy!

Do you know of any interesting, funny, inspiring or curious things that have happened in the garden?

That is the one thing that is guaranteed at DHCG. I don't know where to start - the rabbits, the cats, the drama, the politics - but I do know that just by showing up at the garden on any given day, I will meet one or more of the very colorful and diverse (plant, animal and human) characters that frequent this mecca of vitality and there is a good chance it will make my day! Mahalo DHCG!

No comments:

Post a Comment