Tuesday, July 5, 2011

GARY HOLMQUIST LIKES TO GET DOWN !

Gary Holmquist (plot #75) really likes digging into the soil
How did you get into gardening?  

I've been gardening since I was a little kid, for as long as I can remember I've been planting things and watching them grow.  While growing up in Southern California our neighbor, Mr Dyar, always had a huge garden in his backyard.  I loved to go there and explore what was happening during the growing season.

Did someone teach you? 

I don't know if there was any one person who taught me, I think I learned by experimentation and passion to try new things in the garden.

Why do you garden?  What do you get from it?

There is a sense of accomplishment that come to me when I am at the garden getting my hands dirty.  My number one favorite thing is to get down and really dig into the soil.  I also like it when I spend some good honest time making my garden look good.  I have a bit of an obsession with pulling weeds.  I've caught myself pulling weeds in parking lots and shopping malls.  I can’t help noticing them and pulling them.

How often do you come to the garden? 

I would like to spend more time but I have a full time job which takes up most of my time.  Right now I average about two times a week.

What is your favorite garden store? 
I tried going to the new Lowe's and wasn't too impressed.  I am a big Home Depot fan.  I feel comfortable there and know where everything is.  I used to go to Wally's before they closed, as well as, the old Star Market.

What is the best or most interesting plant you’ve ever grown?  

I think my favorite things to grow are my houseplants.  I've got some really big specimen plants that I've been growing for many years.  I also have a couple of bonsai trees that I am caring for.

Do you actually cook and eat what you harvest?
I try to eat what I grow as much as I can.  Mostly, I love to grow.  I give a lot of what I harvest to my friends, neighbors and co-workers.  They are always surprised and gratified with what I give them.

If you could have it your way, how would you improve Diamond Head Community Garden? 

I've been a gardener at the Diamond Head Community Garden for nine years now.  When I first started it seemed to be much more casual and friendly.  Many time people would stop by and talk story about their gardens and what was growing.  Now it seems conversations tend to get a bit too political for me.  Cats or no Cats, arguments with neighbors and a lot of negative things that comes along when a group of people get together.  I think this is a sign of the times as people feel empowered to express their opinions more openly.  Many times I just want to go to my garden and not be sucked into some debate that has nothing to do with my passion.

Do you have any interesting, funny, inspiring or curious garden/gardening stories?

One of the highlights of my gardening occurred a few years ago.  While pruning a hibiscus tree I had, I noticed a huge praying mantis living on one of the branches.  I noticed that she was there everyday for a week then she disappeared.  She did leave a huge egg sack and over the next few weeks I kept an eye on it.  One day I was looking closely at the egg sack when I noticed lots of little ant like creatures coming out.  They were tiny little Manta, exact duplicates, hundreds of them.  I felt a great sense of accomplishment that I saved them from being pruned away and that I was able to share the experience with my gardening neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment