Tuesday, March 8, 2011

MEET ALLAN DOUGHERTY AT PLOT 27


When I first met Allan Dougherty he was busy spraying his plants with a Neem solution, an organic pesticide.  "You apply it after you water the plants." he says. "But it's pretty weak, so you have to do it often."

When I ask Allan why he gardens, he grins: "To eat!" 
Then he adds, "I don't trust commercial foods." 

I get the picture when he tells me that for 25 years he grew his own food back in Lower Puna with no big city amenities available, like electricity and running water.  "Farming in the jungle," he calls it. 

He now limits himself to his little garden plot, growing different kinds of spinach and lettuces, as well as, collard greens, okra, kale, beets, ong choi, parsley, lemon grass, green onions, and also herbs, like basil, oregano, tarragon, sage, thyme, and chives.

May you live a long and radiant healthy life, Allan!

No comments:

Post a Comment